If you wish to suggest any major changes to this page, please take it to the talk page or contact an administrator. But as of now, feel free to contribute as we need more content on the page.
|Early days||19th Century||20th Century||21st Century|
|Incursion||Early years||Edwardian era||2007|
|18th Century||Victorian era||Roaring Twenties||2008|
|French Revolution||End of the century||Later years||2012|
- AD 1000: Shortly after the first Christian Millennium, the demons began their large-scale invasion, termed the Incursion, of the world around this time.
- Angel Raziel appeared to Jonathan Shadowhunter and gave him the Mortal Instruments to begin the race of Nephilim.
- AD 1444: The first vampires were created in a public ceremony.
- Silent Brother Gregory Hans discovered the correct combination of Marks to both enhance a Nephilim's senses and exclude the smell of demons from that enhancement.
- Because of the witch hunts of mundanes, a great Schism also passed between Shadowhunters and warlocks, and eventually the rest of the Downworld.
- 1640: the Clave forbade the hiring of warlocks to assist in Shadowhunter business.
- 1688: Consul Thomas Tefereel's Reforms were recognized.
- 1721: Shadowhunter brothers Harold and Robert Grunwald burned a tavern filled with a pack of werewolves, horrifying the Clave; the brothers were turned over to mundane authorities and were hanged.
- 1752: The Book of the White disappeared from the London Institute.
- 1762: Consul Suleiman Kanuni eliminated the practice of torturing Downworlders by feeding them from the Mortal Cup as an official punishment.
- 1787: Marcel Saint Cloud began throwing blood parties, resulting in a period of "vampire craze" in Paris.
- 1791 - Events from The Runaway Queen and What Really Happened in Peru
- June: Magnus Bane, staying in Paris, was approached by Axel von Fersen and asked to participate in the rescue of the French Royal Family.
- Later: Magnus and Ragnor Fell embarked on the first of their many adventures in Peru, during which they sunk a cargo ship filled with guano owned by Edmund Garcia while tasked with protecting it.
- 1804: Law prohibiting intermarriage of Shadowhunters with other species was revoked and the method of Ascension was adopted.
- 1815: European Downworlder Treaty was signed at the end of the Napoleonic Wars and marked the first time an official document promised any protection under the Law for Downworlders. The signing was presided by Consul Shimizu-Tokugawa Katsugoro.
- 1825: Axel Mortmain lodged a request for Reparations at the York Institute for the death of his parents, over a decade before.
- 1828 - Events told from The Lost Herondale
- The battle at Bavaria against warlocks and a Greater Demon occurred, during which Tobias Herondale notoriously "abandoned" his comrades. As he did not return, the life of his pregnant wife was forfeit by the Clave as punishment.
- Catarina Loss escaped with the newborn son of Tobias and Eva Herondale and raised him in the mundane world.
- 1832: A Prussian farmer and Shadowhunter, Johannes von Mainz, called the entire Clave to his farm to see the "angel" he had apparently summoned in his cow barn. The summoned "angel" turned out to be Johannes's son, Hans, causing Shadowhunters to be very cautious about making or checking subsequent claims of angel appearances.
- 1847: Adele Starkweather, in fact a mundane changeling, was Marked with her first rune in York Institute which led to her eventual death.
- 1857 - Events from Vampires, Scones, and Edmund Herondale
- 1868: Josiah Wayland became Consul.
- 1872: The First Accords was signed.
- 1873, November 10: Will Herondale left Wales and his family to become a Shadowhunter. Months after, Jem Carstairs arrived at the London Institute and met his future parabatai Will.
- Events from The Infernal Devices
- April – July
- Events from Clockwork Angel
- April: Will and Jem discover the corpse of Emma Bayliss.
- May: Tessa Gray arrived at London and was abducted by the Dark Sisters.
- June: Tessa was rescued from the Dark House and brought to the London Institute. The head of the Pandemonium Club, a figure called "the Magister", became notorious in the Shadow World.
- July 5: The powerful vampire Alexei de Quincey and several other vampires in his clan were killed in the belief that he was the Magister. It was revealed afterwards that the Magister was the mundane Axel Mortmain.
- July – August
- October – December
End of the century
- 1885 - Events from What Really Happened in Peru
- Magnus, Ragnor, and Catarina helped their client Nayaraq unearth her family's treasure in the ruins of Pachacamac.
- 1887: The Second Accords was signed.
- 1888 - Events from The Whitechapel Fiend
- 1890 - Events from What Really Happened in Peru
- The three warlocks were staying in Puno, where Magnus met and spent some time with his lover Imasu Morales. After their relationship ended, Magnus, after a night of heavy drinking, ended up throwing up on the Nazca Lines from a carpet he had stolen and enchanted to fly, with Catarina and Ragnor following him in hopes of restraining their friend, which they ultimately failed to do.
- 1899 - Events from Nothing but Shadows
- 1901 - Events from Cast Long Shadows and Every Exquisite Thing
- Charlotte suffered a miscarriage due to faerie poison accidentally given by her son Matthew.
- 1902: The Third Accords was signed.
- A large fountain in the shape of a mermaid was commissioned and sculpted to celebrate the Third Accords, the first of the new century.
- Exposure, the practice of binding vampires outside to be burned by the sun, was banned.
- 1903 - Events from The Last Hours, Chain of Gold, The Midnight Heir, Chain of Iron, and Chain of Thorns
- 1904 - Events from The Last Hours
- 1929 - Events from The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
- September: Magnus had been staying in a hotel in Manhattan and owned a speakeasy called Mr. Dry's Bar during the prohibition era, the latter of which was closed down later in the month. Around this time, the old warlock Aldous Nix tried to warn Magnus of the arrival of something that will cause everything to break apart. Magnus tried to warn then New York Institute head Edgar Graymark, to no avail.
- October: The Stock Market Crash took place. Aldous surrendered himself to Hell, and Magnus spotted Camille Belcourt in New York.
- 1936 - Events from Learn About Loss
- 1940s - Events from A Deeper Love
- 1953 - Events from Saving Raphael Santiago
- The Seventh Accords was signed.
- Events from What Really Happened in Peru
- Magnus met Kitty and began a brief life of crime with her in several countries for one whole summer.
- Some time after, the High Council of Peruvian warlocks met in secret and decided to ban Magnus from Peru "for crimes unspeakable."
- 1977 - Events from The Fall of the Hotel Dumort
- 1984 - Events from The Evil We Love
- Later years — potential period of events of The Secret Treasons
- Valentine and Jocelyn Fray, Robert Lightwood and Maryse Trueblood, and Stephen and Amatis, and Michael Wayland and Eliza Rosewain were wed. Jocelyn and Maryse soon became pregnant.
- Valentine began experimenting with both his and Céline's unborn sons with demon and angel blood, respectively. A year or two later, he unwittingly also subjected his unborn daughter to the similar experiment with angel blood.
- 1989 - Events from The Last Stand of the New York Institute
- The Circle had begun campaigning for harsher sentences against Downworlders, which they demonstrated by going around Idris and other cities, claiming to help Institutes on missions where they, in fact, set to out to kill Downworlders, even those who were not breaking the Accords.
- The Circle eventually came to New York and began by killing vampires at the Spanish Harlem. Afterwards, they intended to kill a family of werewolves that had separated from a pack and faced Magnus Bane and the Conclave members who were defending them. They ended up killing a couple of the werewolves and the Whitelaw family of Shadowhunters.
- Events from City of Bones and City of Glass flashbacks/stories and The Wicked Ones
- Lucian Graymark was Turned into a werewolf and became the leader of the Brocelind werewolf pack.
- Stephen Herondale left his wife Amatis and married Céline Montclaire. He then became Valentine's new second-in-command, replacing the now believed to be deceased Luke.
- Stephen was killed and his wife Céline committed suicide. Valentine, with Hodge Starkweather's help, took the child he had been experimenting on from her corpse and hid the baby in his house's (the Fairchild manor) basement before letting Hodge hide out with the infant in his childhood home.
- Valentine moved the Circle's plans into action.
- Jocelyn, who discovered his plans shortly after giving birth to their son, Jonathan Christopher, searched for Luke. With Ragnor Fell's help, she found him, and she also supplied Jocelyn with a spell and a means to contact and warn the Downworlders. Together, the three helped make plans to thwart the attack.
- The first attempt to sign the Ninth Accords took place, done more than a year early to make way for a lengthy faerie ritual done every 500 years that would have conflicted with the planned 1992 signing (15 years after the last).
- The Uprising occurred, disrupting the very signing of the Accords, causing the death of Shadowhunters and Downworlders.
- Valentine murdered Michael Wayland and his son in order to fake his and his own son's deaths.
- Jocelyn left Idris and went to Paris with Luke. She later ran away again to New York, where she took the name Jocelyn Fray.
- Robert, Maryse, and Alec Lightwood were exiled from Idris to run the Institute in New York. With them was Hodge Starkweather, who was cursed for his part in the Uprising.
- Imogen Herondale became the Inquisitor.
- 1993 - Events from The Last Stand of the New York Institute
- 1995/1996/later 1990s: Lucian Graymark moved to New York to be close to Jocelyn and her daughter and took up the name Luke Garroway.
- Events from Son of the Dawn
- Events from The Mortal Instruments
- Events from City of Bones and The Course of True Love (And First Dates)
- Clary met her first group of Shadowhunters and learned about her heritage. Jocelyn had gone missing, in fact taken by Valentine and his men. Clary and Jace Wayland, along with Luke and a few others, later faced Valentine. Jace was then led to believe that he was the son of Valentine and Jocelyn, hence the brother of Clary. Jace, however, chose to fight against Valentine, and Jocelyn, though still unconscious, was retrieved.
- Events from City of Ashes, What to Buy the Shadowhunter Who Has Everything, and City of Glass
- The Mortal War occurred, wherein demons entered Alicante, and Shadowhunters and Downworlders worked together to defend the city. Clary found out that her real brother Jonathan, now going by Sebastian, was alive. They all learned that Jace wasn't Valentine's son and that he was a Herondale by blood. Valentine summoned Raziel and was struck down soon after.
- Events from City of Fallen Angels and the prologue of City of Lost Souls
- Clary has begun training to be a Shadowhunter under Jace's tutelage, when Jace fell under a mysterious and powerful demonic influence, later revealed to be Lilith, who had kept Sebastian's body after the Mortal War. She blackmailed Simon Lewis, recently Turned into a rare Daylighter, to exchange blood with Sebastian to revive him. Sebastian was brought back to life, and Jace was put under his influence.
- Events from City of Lost Souls
- Clary joined Jace and Sebastian, pretending to agree with their views long enough to be able to spy on them, relay their plans to her friends in New York, and give them time to figure out a way to sever the pair's demonic bond.
- 'Team Good' in New York summoned the Angel Raziel, who then gave Simon the sword Glorious to use against either of the pair, in exchange for Simon's Mark of Cain.
- The Infernal Cup was created, and Sebastian was able to Turn several of his followers into Endarkened Shadowhunters at the Seventh Sacred Site at the Burren in Ireland. The Shadowhunters, and certain Downworlders, of New York arrived and managed to defeat several of them in battle, forcing the remaining ones to flee, while Clary, though she failed to reach Sebastian to use the sword on him, stabbed Jace with the sword, and the heavenly fire burned away the evil, particularly his bond with Sebastian, in him.
- Events from The Voicemail of Magnus Bane and City of Heavenly Fire
- The Dark War took place between Sebastian's Endarkened and faerie army against the Clave as well as the rest of the Downworlders.
- Jace Herondale, Clary Fray, Simon Lewis, Isabelle and Alec Lightwood traveled to Edom, where they defeated Sebastian.
- Malcolm Fade stole the Black Volume of the Dead from the Los Angeles Institute.
- Events from the Clockwork Princess and City of Heavenly Fire epilogues
- January: Tessa and Jem went to London on the Blackfriars Bridge for their annual meeting. Jem revealed that he was changed back to mortal, from being a Silent Brother, after he had touched the heavenly fire-filled Jace Herondale. The pair reunited.
- May: Jocelyn and Luke got married at Luke's farmhouse in upstate New York. Simon, after having lost his memories during a deal made with Asmodeus, was approached by Magnus and Isabelle and given some of his memories back, enough to know that he was friends with them.
- Events from Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy: Welcome to Shadowhunter Academy, The Lost Herondale, The Whitechapel Fiend, and Nothing but Shadows
- Events from Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy: The Evil We Love, Pale Kings and Princes, Bitter of Tongue, and The Fiery Trial
- May (The Evil We Love): The Inquisitor Robert Lightwood went to the Academy with his daughter, Isabelle, to lecture them about the Circle and the dangers of bad influence disguised in charm. After, the end of the first year of the Academy was commemorated with a party before their summer vacation.
- September (Pale Kings and Princes): The second year of the Academy started. Helen Blackthorn was brought in to speak at the Academy and tell the believed tale of what transpired between her parents.
- October/November (Bitter of Tongue): Simon ended up a captive in Faerieland, where he met Mark Blackthorn, who later helped him and Isabelle escape.
- December 1: Helen and Aline were wed.
- Mid- to late December (The Fiery Trial): Beatriz Mendoza and Julie Beauvale's decision to become parabatai was announced; on the same day, Simon and Clary's potential to become "true parabatai" was tested. The next day, they witnessed Julian and Emma's parabatai ceremony.
- Events from the City of Heavenly Fire UK comic
- The wedding of Tessa Gray and Jem Carstairs took place on the Blackfriars Bridge, presided over by Magnus Bane and witnessed by their friends and families, and the ghosts of Will and Jessamine.
- Events from Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy: Born to Endless Night and Angels Twice Descending
- Events from The Dark Artifices, The Land I Lost, and Through Blood, Through Fire
- Events from A Long Conversation and Lady Midnight
- Mark Blackthorn was returned to his family at the Los Angeles Institute.
- Malcolm Fade was exposed as the Guardian, and was believed to have been killed by Emma Carstairs at the convergence.
- Rafael Lightwood-Bane was found in Buenos Aries and after many visits, was adopted as the second child of Magnus and Alec.
- Events from A Long Conversation and Lady Midnight
- Events from Lord of Shadows and Queen of Air and Darkness
- Some time prior, the Unseelie King was able to harness the power of the Black Volume of the Dead to render Nephilim tools (runes, adamas weapons, witchlight) powerless.
- Malcolm was able to raise Annabel Blackthorn from the dead with Arthur Blackthorn's blood. Annabel immediately killed Malcolm and took the Black Volume from him. She later massacred a number of Shadowhunters in the Council Hall during her trial.
- Events from Lord of Shadows and Queen of Air and Darkness
- Events from The Wicked Powers, set to take place three or four years after The Dark Artifices.