|Through Blood, Through Fire|
|Release Date|| Nov. 13, 2018 (e-book)|
June 4, 2019 (print edition)
| Released after|
The Land I Lost
| Released before|
Queen of Air and Darkness
Through Blood, Through Fire is the eighth short story in Ghosts of the Shadow Market: An Anthology of Tales, co-written by Cassandra Clare and Robin Wasserman.
Jem Carstairs and Tessa Gray are finally united after waiting over a century to be together, but they become aware a dark threat is looming over a child of the Shadow Market: a lost Herondale, from a line of Herondales who have used the Market to hide from their fellow Nephilim. Now is the time for the lost Herondale to be discovered. Jem and Tessa have to find him before his enemies can.
Others (in order of appearance):
- Ephraim Loss (mentioned only)
- Eva Blackthorn (mentioned only)
- Magnus Bane (mentioned only)
- Riders of Mannan (mentioned only)
- Jonah Carstairs (mentioned only)
- Ke Wen Yu (mentioned only)
- Brother Enoch
- Charlotte Fairchild (mentioned only)
- Rosemary's parents (mentioned only)
- Emma Carstairs
- Johnny Rook
- Kit Herondale
- James Herondale (mentioned only)
- Lucie Herondale (mentioned only)
- Malcolm Fade (mentioned only)
- Henry Branwell (mentioned only)
- Alec Lightwood (mentioned only)
- Jem and Tessa's child
- Will Herondale (spirit)
- This story is set in 2012, before and during Lady Midnight.
- "This story brings us to the rescue of Kit Herondale that occurred during Lady Midnight."
- Rosemary and Kit Herondale appeared in this installment.
- "Jem and Tessa answer a distress call, and Tessa finds an opportunity to use her shape-changing abilities to save the lost line of Herondales. In doing so she learns about the tragedy that kept those hidden Herondales on the run, and about the doomed romance between Kit’s parents. But tragedy doesn’t end in the past—Tessa loses the ability to control the Change, and Jem must find a way to bring her back to herself or lose her forever."
As Jem and Tessa watched, the bird traced letters of fire upon the air.
I turned away from you once, but please help me now. I thought I could do this on my own, but the Riders are closing in. If you will not come for me, come for my boy. I thought I could buy his life with my suffering. I thought if I left him, he would be safe. He is not. Please come. I beg you. Save me. Save my child.
- ↑ Through Blood, Through Fire on Simon & Schuster
- ↑ books. schedule. books! — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "It features human Jem and takes place just before Lady Midnight." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "“Through Blood, Through Fire” which is set before and during Lady Midnight (and features Kit!)" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Cassandra Clare's October newsletter
- ↑ "I can say you'll see Rosemary again in Through Blood, Through Fire —" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Will we see Kit in Through Blood, Through Fire?" "Yes indeed you will!" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr