|The Lost Book of the White|
|Release Date||September 1, 2020|
| Released after|
Chain of Gold
| Released before|
Chain of Iron
- Note: This portion of a synopsis was released before the titles/order of books were shuffled and is expected to change.
It’s 2010 and Magnus and Alec have just adopted baby warlock Max. They’re settling in to family life (with a baby who occasionally turns into a bat) when an old friend from Magnus’s past appears bearing a terrible secret. To rescue him, Magnus and Alec must journey to Shanghai, bringing with them the formidable assistance of Clary, Jace, Simon, and Isabelle. But will they be able to help him, and in doing so, prevent the Book of the White from falling into the worst possible hands?
- Magnus and Alec are the main characters, with POVs from both.
- Characters set to appear, aside from Magnus and Alec, include: Jace, Clary, Simon, Isabelle, Lily Chen, Tessa Gray, and Jem Carstairs.
- The gang will be traveling to Shanghai where they will encounter the Ke family.
- Jem will also be in Shanghai and will see "the descendants of his mother's family, which brings back the memories of his early youth." Specifically, he and Tessa were invited to Shanghai in light of their engagement, and Jem went in hopes of reconnecting with the Ke family and showing Tessa the city he grew up in.
- Alec and Magnus are negotiating the experience of being new fathers and dealing with the consequences of events in Red Scrolls, "which have reared their heads again. This is also where the main group of TMI characters finds out what happens in Red Scrolls, since Alec and Magnus had to keep it secret before."
- This installment will be set in 2009, specifically soon after Angels Twice Descending.
- Becoming a father for the first time will bring back some issues Magnus has with his father, and the issues Shadowhunters might have with his father being a Greater Demon. These issues will coincide with a mystery and a missing person.
- Some of the issues that caused their breakup in City of Lost Souls will "resurface, but with so much more at stake–the life they've built together, their child, and Magnus's soul."
- The installment may tackle how Alec found Rafael Lightwood-Bane and why and how Alec and Magnus adopted him.
- The "TMI gang"—Jace, Clary, Isabelle, Simon, Alec, and Magnus—will be fighting demons together in this installment. Their new dynamics, with Simon now a Shadowhunter and Clary's parabatai, will be shown.
- Alec will have "some lone hero demon-fighting moments too, impressing some Downworlders rather a lot." Alec's fame in the Downworld, which helped setting up the Downworlder and Shadowhunter Alliance, and heroics will be shown.
- Some moments between Max and his grandparents Robert and Maryse will be shown.
- The installment will begin with a danger posed to Max.
- A love interest for Maryse may be introduced in this installment.
- The mystery of when Ragnor Fell was "discovered not to be dead and how he is rescued by Magnus and Alec and Clary and Jace and Isabelle and Simon" will be shown.
- Ragnor's reaction to hearing about Raphael Santiago's death might be shown.
- The magical reason why the other attendants of Jem and Tessa's wedding, excluding the couple and Magnus, don't remember it ever happening will be revealed in this series.
- Maia Roberts will not be with the group as she will be running the Downworlder-Shadowhunter Alliance in Alec's absence and will be dealing with the new interim head of the New York Institute, a character that has been introduced before.
Now Magnus watched Alec walk toward their bed, safe and home and well-beloved, and he felt the last of the tension slip from his body. He could sleep again, he thought. It had been a while since they slept in their bed together, at the same time. Too long. He rolled his shoulders, sighing, and Alec's eyes followed the movement.
"I'm not tired," claimed Alec, clearly lying. "Are you tired? Or would you want to—stay awake?"
Oh. It had been a while for a few things.
Magnus leaned in across the bed and lied, his voice soft and delighted: "I'm not tired."
Alec was already leaning in to him, his lean warrior's body stretched out on the bed and curving toward Magnus. They met halfway, the kiss moonlight soft at first. Magnus was smiling. Alec's warm mouth curved, after a moment, into an answering smile. Moonlight changed to starlight, a feeling like points of brightness coming to shining life all through Magnus's body.
Magnus separated reluctantly from Alec to help Alec slide off his worn T-shirt. Magnus dropped the T-shirt by the side of the bed, and began to draw his own rings from his fingers.
"Hey," Alec murmured, eyes shining in the low light, voice husky. "Leave them on."
It had been much too long.
"All right," Magnus whispered back. "Anything you want."
"Anything?" said Alec.
Magnus reached out and stroked the angelic rune traced against of Alec's throat, and felt Alec swallow under the light pressure of Magnus's fingers and the metal of his rings. Then Magnus clasped the nape of Alec's neck and drew him in for another kiss. His free hand glided up the arch of Alec's back, rings stuttering along his spine. His palm slid up to his shoulderblades, mapping the well-known and always wonderful stretch of soft skin and scars.
Alec broke the kiss with a gasp, and leaned his head down on Magnus's shoulder, tucking his face into Magnus's neck for a moment. He slid the robe off Magnus's shoulders, and as the silk slid away he kissed the bared brown skin. The press of his mouth was tender as well as passionate, every move of Alec's always so utterly sincere.
"Anything," said Magnus, and meant it with all his heart. "What do you want?"
"Everything," Alec mumbled. "You."
" 'Everything' and 'me' are not the same thing," Magnus murmured.
"They are to me," said Alec.
He kissed him again, kissed away the startled look Magnus knew he was wearing, still caught off guard by Alec Lightwood, still wondering if this could possibly be for him. This kiss went as deep as the first one tonight had been soft, and as they kissed Alec tumbled back on the silk pillows and pulled Magnus down against him.
Magnus nuzzled the rune on the side of Alec's neck, then kissed the hollow at the base of his throat, and felt the shiver run through Alec's body beneath him.
Then a scream broke the air.
- The title is referring to the Book of the White.
- The Lost Book was initially set to be the first book in the trilogy before Cassandra Clare decided to switch the title order of the series.
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184134321614/not-about-plot-or-anything-but-i-love-the-cover
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184210079749/chain-of-gold-publication
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/165297971484/qa-various-malcolm-ash-gwynburn
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/160240628174/tec-questions
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/172558965774/hello-cassie-will-tessa-jem-and-will
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184254771804/will-lily-appear-in-the-lost-book-of-the-white
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184256335404/hi-cassie-will-we-see-a-continuation-of-the
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/173001529559/queenoffanart-said-hi-cassie-in-gotsm-will-we
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184112794979/hi-cassie-i-just-finished-the-red-scrolls-of
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184256335404/hi-cassie-will-we-see-a-continuation-of-the
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/175343764214/do-all-the-eldest-curses-books-take-place-in-the
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u=4d3d48f0c0279df4622b2cfd7&id=836db581dd
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 13.5 http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/176558221544/qa-tlh-tec
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184139802599/hi-cassie-i-just-finished-reading-rsom-and
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/160592869949/hi-cassie-in-the-elder-curses-will-we-see-how
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/176775788829/qa-lightwood-banes
- ↑ https://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184369396069/will-we-see-a-lot-of-scenes-with-max-in-the-next
- ↑ https://twitter.com/sarahreesbrenna/status/1050367658154176512
- ↑ https://twitter.com/sarahreesbrenna/status/1050377942138855431
- ↑ https://twitter.com/sarahreesbrenna/status/1050503637628329984
- ↑ http://sarahreesbrennan.tumblr.com/post/179056057032/we-saw-the-delete-line-about-the-maryses
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/181202311149/a-few-spoilery-questions-about-queen
- ↑ https://thefandom.net/queen-air-darkness-cassandra-clare-interview/
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184278585539/in-lbotw-are-we-gonna-see-how-ragnor-reacted-to
- ↑ Lady Midnight
- ↑ https://tmisource.com/2016/04/24/exclusive-cassandra-clare-talks-about-the-dark-artifices-writing-and-more/
- ↑ http://rwtia64wikia.tumblr.com/post/145788643765/the-question-had-to-do-with-the-dateyeartiming
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/141791745329/in-lady-midnight-when-julian-and-emma-were-at
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/180899262709/my-question-is-about-jem-and-tessa-why-did
- ↑ https://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/184322678509/hi-cassie-are-catarina-and-maia-going-to-be-going