Set in Victorian London, the series follows Tessa Gray, an orphaned teenage girl who discovers she has the power to shapeshift, abilities that plunge her into a world she never knew existed. She will have to forge an alliance with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute if she wants to survive in this dangerous world.
- Clockwork Angel was narrated by Jennifer Ehle.
- Clockwork Prince was narrated by Ed Westwick and Heather Lind.
- Clockwork Princess was narrated by Daniel Sharman.
On April 12, 2013, months prior to the release of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, it was announced that a film adaptation of The Infernal Devices was in the works, with the screenplay being written by Stephanie Sanditz with a search for the director ongoing at the time, though a script has been in development as early as 2011. No follow-up news has been given since and the project has likely been scrapped.
Plans for a TV adaptation were made instead. A writer for the pilot episode's script was assigned as early as 2017, and the series was being shopped around by Constantin Film to different potential networks and distributors. A report came out in May 2020 claiming that the series pilot landed at BBC Three.
- The series is very loosely modeled after A Tale of Two Cities, especially Clockwork Princess, which was always meant to be a loose retelling of the book.
- The series title refers to the clockwork automatons, created by the main antagonist, which were sometimes referred to as "Infernal Devices" in the trilogy.
- Cassandra Clare got the idea for the series while on the Blackfriars Bridge, hence the bridge's significance in the series.
- The US/Canada paperback book covers for The Infernal Devices are being updated (repackaged) and officially replaced with new ones with a more modern look, to be released in September 2015 by Simon & Schuster. The covers were revealed on May 13, 2015 on Tor.com.
- Simon & Schuster also has further plans to do alternative "adult covers" for the series.
- ↑ 'Mortal Instruments' Prequel Movie in Development (Exclusive) | Heat Vision, Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ Cassandra Clare gives ‘City of Bones’ script update, says ‘Clockwork Angel’ screenplay in the works — TMI Source
- ↑ Constantin TV Chief Oliver Berben on Building Drama Brands for a Global Audience | Variety
- ↑ Q&A: books and one TID tv show q — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ ‘Shadowhunters’ Producer Updates On Future As #SaveShadowhunters Campaign Goes Global | Deadline
- ↑ Exclusive: ‘The Infernal Devices’ Adaptation In The Works at BBC Three | The Cinema Spot
- ↑ http://novelnovice.com/2010/08/17/cassie-clare-talks-clockwork-angel-a-tale-of-two-cities/
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/44845464969/clockwork-princess-questions-answers-spoilery
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/452931528595869697
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/111580259954/city-of-bones-has-a-brand-new-look-usa-today
- ↑ http://www.tor.com/blogs/2015/05/new-cover-art-for-cassandra-clares-infernal-devices-trilogy
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/113175260614/hey-cassie-ive-read-on-your-blog-that-the-new
- ↑ https://twitter.com/cassieclare/status/574987224355356672