- Magnus and Alec are the main characters, with POVs from both.
- This installment is currently set during The Wicked Powers.
- The Black Volume was initially set to be the second book in the series before Cassandra Clare decided to switch the order of the installment titles.
- Similar to its companion books in the same series, The Black Volume of the Dead is named after a powerful spellbook.
- The book was originally going to take place after The Dark Artifices and before The Wicked Powers.
- Cassandra Clare updates her fans on her book schedule
- "When we sold the books, we went over dozens of different titles, and the publisher picked these three." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- Exclusive: Cassandra Clare reveals titles of Magnus Bane series and more
- "It’s both Magnus and Alec’s point of view." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- "It’s actually at the moment scheduled to be time-wise during TWP." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- "It does! The books have gaps of time between them so we can visit different parts of Alec and Magnus’ relationship." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr