Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy is a series of novellas by Cassandra Clare, Sarah Rees Brennan, Maureen Johnson, and Robin Wasserman. Much like The Bane Chronicles, it is a collection of 10 short stories that was released monthly in e-book format before its publication as a compilation.
While the set of stories is connected by the existence and history of the Shadowhunter Academy, it follows the adventures of Simon Lewis as he trains to become a Shadowhunter, from his arrival at the Shadowhunter Academy to his Ascension ceremony, with Simon being the character that connects all of the stories.
Simon Lewis has been a human and a vampire, and now he is becoming a Shadowhunter. The events of City of Heavenly Fire left him stripped of his memories, and Simon isn't sure who he is anymore. So when the Shadowhunter Academy reopens, Simon throws himself into this new world of demon-hunting, determined to find himself again. Whomever this new Simon might be.
But the Academy is a Shadowhunter institution, which means it has some problems. Like the fact that non-Shadowhunter students have to live in the basement. At least Simon's trained in weaponry—even if it's only from hours of playing D&D.
- The model for the cover also modeled as Simon for the repackaged US cover of City of Glass. On both covers, Simon is wearing his "Made In Brooklyn" T-shirt described in City of Bones.
- The main story takes place around four to six months after City of Heavenly Fire. The collection took place from 2008 to 2010.
- The main story, specifically of Simon becoming a Shadowhunter, was an idea that would have been featured in a planned graphic novel spin-off after City of Glass if The Mortal Instruments was not continued with City of Fallen Angels.
- A storyline involving Simon organizing the worst stag (bachelor) party ever and another character, hinted to be Isabelle, organizing a great hen night (bachelorette party) seems to have been scrapped.
- Cassandra Clare had to be convinced by her co-authors to agree to present-day Academy being a dump.
- Q&A in Brazil, 12:43
- TFSA release event in New York