One is the Wedded Union rune, which is placed on the arm or the back of the hand of the during the wedding ceremony in the place of rings in a mundane ceremony, binding the pair in matrimony. Once the marks are made, the Nephilim is/are considered married. Another is placed over the heart, either placed during the actual ceremony or in private.
On the rare occasions when a Shadowhunter married a Downworlder in a traditional Shadowhunter wedding ceremony, the Downworlder, who would be incapable of bearing runes, will also receive a representation of the rune in some other form. Known cases include:
- When Will Herondale married the warlock Tessa Gray, she wore the runes on a bracelet.
- When Alec Lightwood married Magnus Bane, he wore the runes on a pin.
- ↑ The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones site (taken down)
- ↑ Wedding comic, a City of Heavenly Fire extra
- ↑ Ten of Runes/Wedded Union tarot
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Queen of Air and Darkness
- ↑ Clockwork Prince
- ↑ Bitter of Tongue
- ↑ Divorce — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ City of Heavenly Fire
- ↑ Ten of Runes tarot card — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr