|“||Lucie had long ago decided that living a story would be terribly uncomfortable. Far better to write them, and control the tale so it was never too sad or too scary, only just enough to be intriguing.||”|
–Lucie, Chain of Gold
Lucie developed a love for writing when she was young. So much so that by her eighth birthday, her family was already giving her blank books to put her work into.
During a trip to France with her mother, Lucie met and, in a span of two weeks, became very close to Cordelia Carstairs. They began to exchange letters every week. In 1897, Lucie asked Cordelia to be parabatai and she agreed; though the ceremony was put off as the Clave wanted to make sure they were grown enough to decide. At the age of twelve, Lucie began to write a novel called The Beautiful Cordelia for her and sent her new chapters every month for four years.
Growing up, Lucie spent her summers in Idris at Herondale manor. One summer when she was 10, she snuck out in the middle of the night to play in Brocelind Forest. While doing so she got lost and fell into a faerie trap. Luckily she was rescued by Jesse Blackthorn—though she did not know who he was at the time and assumed that he was a changeling.
In 1903, Lucie met Jesse Blackthorn again at the London Institute's party to welcome the Carstairs family to London. In speaking with him, she learned who he was and that he was a ghost. While being able to see a ghost was not surprising—as a Herondale it was not usual to see or speak with ghosts and Lucie had grown up doing so—it was strange considering he was able to touch her and the rest of her family seemingly could not see him. He explained further that he was no ordinary ghost and that only his mother and sister had ever been able to see him; he was shocked and intrigued that she could.
In the days to come, she spent much time with Jesse: learning more about his life, how he died, and how he became what he was. He was also able to warn her of Cerberus demons that were after her brother and Grace, allowing her to go save them. As well as lend her some help during her and her friends' investigation into the Mandikhor demon that was attacking the city.
During their research, they came across the body of Emmanuel Gast—the warlock that had summoned the demon. Lucie was able to pull the spirit of him back from the brink in order to get information from him—though she did not realize it at the time that that is what she had done. It wasn't until Cordelia fell into the Thames while battling the Mandikhor, that Lucie realized her demonic power. By screaming for help, she summoned all the ghosts of London to her aid and they pulled Cordelia out of the waters. She had originally assumed it was Jesse who had saved Cordelia until he told her that he had received the call and that she was the one who commanded the spirits, which is when everything of the past few days clicked into place as she began to understand her power over ghosts.
The following day, after Christopher Lightwood was poisoned by some Khora demons, the group split up. Lucie was asked to go with Thomas Lightwood to retrieve a plant from Chiswick house to finish the antidote for the poison Christopher had developed. While there, she had a vision of her brother being hurt and asked Jesse to check on him at Highgate. Jesse quickly returned saying James was no where to be seen but that he had sensed dark magic. Lucie, panicked, then used her ability to command Jesse to take her to him the way ghosts travel, which upset Jesse.
At Highgate, she found Matthew Fairchild unconscious but a quick iratze woke him. He told her James and Cordelia had gone through a Portal to James's shadow realm just before the pair promptly fell from the sky. Matthew rushed over to try healing runes on James who was clearly dying, but they would not work. Lucie grabbed his hands and began pleading with him not to go. Jesse, knowing how much James meant to her, offered her his last breath which had been sealed in his locket. Accepting, Lucie took the locket and opened it to James's lips, releasing the breath and saving his life.
Days later, Lucie went to Jesse's grave, believing him to be gone with his last breath released. Instead he appeared, albeit weaker, and thanked her for allowing him to be a Shadowhunter. When she swore that she would repay him by saving him, he asked that she not. Though later, at James and Cordelia's engagement party, she had a conversation with Grace about Jesse and her plans to resurrect him with or without his consent; to which Grace became very interested and urged her on.
Personality and traits
|“||No matter how dark and hopeless the world seemed, Lucie could always find beauty in a story.||”|
Lucie rarely hides her feelings; she is straight-forward and would say whatever she is thinking without much second thoughts. Lucie can also be quite impetuous.
Lucie is a writer, and she can't help but be intrigued by mysteries and romance. Lucie tends to make things up or guess circumstances creatively. She makes sense of situations by thinking about her characters in her stories.
Lucie has brown hair, inherited from her mother, and pale blue eyes that are a shade slightly lighter than her father's. Like her brother, she has dimples and is considered very attractive.
Skills and abilities
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Lucie is expected to possess a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to her by the angel blood of Raziel in her veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, agility, stamina, and coordination, which would improve over time and practice.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are all able to apply runes of the Gray Book on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- The Sight: As a Shadowhunter, Lucie is able to easily see through most magical illusions and layers of glamour over reality.
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Nephilim, Lucie is also able to handle heavenly weapons with effect, since this would normally not work for other species. In particular, these are weapons made of adamas and forged by Iron Sisters, such as seraph blades.
- Demonic magic: Lucie is said to have special "talents" due to inheriting some demon blood from her mother. Her power allows her to see all kinds of ghosts and command them to do her bidding.
- Blackthorn family locket: After Jesse gave it to her to use his last breath to save James’s life, Lucie has kept the Blackthorn family locket.
- Throwing axe: Aside from seraph blades, Lucie’s primary fighting method is with a small throwing axe.
- Other basic Shadowhunter gear, including: steles, seraph blades, and a witchlight. As well as an assortment of weaponry kept in the trunk by her bed which consists of daggers, knives, chains, darts, and other such items.
- Typewriter: Lucie is a writer and is often found at her typewriter writing the next chapter of The Beautiful Cordelia or some other work.
- Journal: A thick blank book given to her on her eighth birthday by James, which is kept by her bedside and has since been filled with her favorite pieces of her own work. It is considered one of her most prized possessions.
- Lucie also has a number of other writing notebooks kept on her desk.
|“||She had always been jealous of the closeness Lucie and James shared, something she had always wanted with Alastair but never had. It was nice that at some moments they were perfectly ordinary.||”|
–Cordelia about Lucie and James's relationship, Chain of Gold
James is Lucie's older brother. Growing up, the two were extremely close. Both siblings share a love of reading and would read by the fire every night.
James is very supportive of her writing career. When she turned eight, James purchased her a thick blank book, and it became one of her most prized possessions. She keeps it next to her bed and copied her favorite pieces of her own work into it.The two often talk to one another about their relationships and the problems in their lives, and do not fight very often. As they grew older, James and Lucie began to bicker, but the two still remained very close as siblings.
|“||She is to be my parabatai. I cannot hide things from her.||”|
–Lucie about Cordelia, Chain of Gold
Lucie is Cordelia's future parabatai.
The two girls met when they were young while Lucie and her mother were visiting France. Over the next several years they constantly exchanged letters. When they were 12, Cordelia saved Lucie's life when she fell off a cliff—holding on to her as she dangled till help could arrive. After this, they decided to become parabatai.
However, The Clave, delayed their plans because they believed that the girls were too young. One of the reasons Cordelia moved to London was to allow them to train so they could complete their ceremony.Lucie began writing a novel called The Beautiful Cordelia to cheer up Cordelia while she was in Switzerland. Every month, for the next four years, Lucie mailed her a new chapter.
|“||It does not amuse me to watch you hurt yourself. You are like a brother to me, Math—||”|
–Lucie when confronting Matthew about his drinking, Chain of Gold
Matthew is her brother's parabatai. She and Matthew grew up together and as such she views him like a brother. Eventually, it became clear that Matthew believed he was in love with her to which she dismisses as a childhood fancy. Still she cares deeply for Matthew.
During their investigation of the Mandikhor demon, Lucie began to notice that Matthew was almost always drunk. After he had fallen and messed up a couple times on a mission, she brought it up to him, expressing her concern not only for his well-being but her brother's. Her worry that Matthew may get her brother killed in battle if he continued to be inebriated at all times angered Matthew and he stormed out.Soon after, Lucie began noticing that Matthew had his eye on Cordelia and may have fallen out of love with her and in love with Cordelia.
|“||I am the one who is grateful. And I will find a way to help you, Jesse. I swear to bring you back if I can, or lay you to rest if I cannot.||”|
–Lucie to Jesse, Chain of Gold
The two met again in 1903 at a party in the London Institute. When he realized she could still see him, he dragged her away from the party and explained to her who he was. Jesse and Lucie talked many times after this, and the two became close. Jesse began confiding in her, even asking for her help when he believed his sister to be in trouble. Jesse later helped Lucie when her brother was dying and gave him his last breath to save his life.While Lucie was visiting his grave, he thanked her for allowing him to be a Shadowhunter but asked that she not try to save him. However, Lucie decided to resurrect him anyway with the help of Grace.
- See more here
- She was named after Lucie Manette, a character in the book A Tale of Two Cities, a favorite of both her parents.
- Like her father, she is the parabatai of a Carstairs.
- Lucie, like her brother and cousins, can speak Welsh.
- She began teaching herself Persian in 1901 (for Cordelia) with her mother and the occasional help of Thomas Lightwood.
- Her favorite book is The Castle of Otranto by Horace Walpole.
- Lucie's favorite treat is bread and butter pudding.
- Lucie's favorite animal is a sparrow.
- Lucie had a brief crush on Malcolm Fade once.
- According to a found family tree, she went on to marry Jesse Blackthorn, with whom she continued the Blackthorn line, and died in 1959 at the age of 71 or 72. The same family tree mistakenly stated that Lucie was born in 1891.
- Cassandra Clare originally intended for her favorite book to be Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, however, it was given to James as his.
- Cast Long Shadows
- Lucie's promotional character card — Cassandra Clare on Instagram
- An Illustrated History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of Downworld
- Nothing but Shadows
- Days Past: Lucie & Cordelia, a Chain of Gold extra
- Chain of Gold
- "They talk about their problems and relationships...They rarely fight." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- "Cecily and Will's kids speak Welsh." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- Every Exquisite Thing
- January 2020 Shadowhunter Army Newsletter
- "Great Expectations", Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- James's Character Card — Cassandra Clare on Instagram.
- "Spots", Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- "Tuppence. Spots. Other stuff." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- "Yes, they are best friends and become parabatai in the Last Hours." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr