|“||No matter how dark and hopeless the world seemed, Lucie could always find beauty in a story.||”|
Lucie developed a love for writing when she was young. On her eighth birthday, James got her a thick blank book, which became one of her most prized possessions. She kept it next to her bed and copied her favorite pieces of her own work into it.
In 1899, Lucie went to France with her mother. There, she met and, in a span of two weeks, became very close to Cordelia Carstairs. They began to exchange letters every week. Some time after, at the age of twelve, Lucie began to write what would become a two-thousand page novel called The Beautiful Cordelia, with the heroine named for her.
Her mother, Tessa, once told Magnus Bane that compared to James, Lucie was the impetuous one. She tends to say whatever it is she is thinking when she thinks it and rarely hides her feelings. Lucie is also a very practical girl, but can still be quite dreamy.
Lucie has brown hair, inherited from her mother, and pale blue eyes that are a shade slightly lighter than her father, Will Herondale's.
Skills and abilities
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Lucie is expected to possess a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to her by the angel blood of Raziel in her veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, agility, stamina, and coordination, which would improve over time and practice.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are all able to apply runes of the Gray Book on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- Demonic magic: Lucie is said to have special "talents" due to inheriting some demon blood from her mother. However, as of 1903, she is still unaware of them.
- James Herondale: brother, with whom she is very close. They often talk to one another about their problems and rarely fight.
- Cordelia Carstairs: her best friend and parabatai.
- Matthew Fairchild: James' parabatai, whom she also adores.
- See more here
- She was named after Lucie Manette, a character in the book A Tale of Two Cities, a favorite of both her parents.
- Lucie, like her brother and cousins, can speak Welsh.
- Her favorite book is Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.
- Like her father, she is the parabatai of a Carstairs.
- Her brother, James, calls her Spots and Tuppence, among other nicknames.
- Lucie's favorite treat is bread and butter pudding.
- While both Lucie and James gained significant, special abilities through the demon blood they inherited from their mother, she, unlike James, is still unaware of them as of 1903 and it is something she wonders about. Also unlike James (who has golden eyes), however, she doesn't have any physical sign of peculiarity.
- Lucie is a writer, particularly of novels.
- The mystery of Jesse Blackthorn's fate occupies her mind.
- Lucie is inclined to make things up.
- She and Cordelia are set to become parabatai in The Last Hours, after having been pen pals looking to become parabatai for years.
- Lucie is not fond of Alastair, though she doesn't know how he treated her brother at the Academy, and partly because Alastair avoided the Herondales before their "enforced proximity" in The Last Hours. She plots to give the "Beautiful Cordelia" of her story an irritating brother as a form of literary punishment.
- Lucie can see ghosts/the dead. Though this is typical of most Shadowhunters, it is possible that she, like her father, Will, just sees even those who don't want to be seen, or that it has a connection to her "gift".
- Lucie initially thought Jesse was a changeling boy when she first met him.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Cast Long Shadows
- ↑ Cassandra Clare answering a fan — Italian Shadowhunter fansite.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ Nothing but Shadows
- ↑ TLH pin — Cassandra Clare on Pinterest
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Q&A: Herondales — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Lucie rarely hides her feelings and she generally says what she’s thinking" — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "She's a very practical girl," Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ TLH sneak peek, CC Fangirlish interview
- ↑ "Very close." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "They talk about their problems and relationships...They rarely fight." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "They are best friends." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "Yes, they are best friends and become parabatai in the Last Hours." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Lucie adores Matthew." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Cecily and Will's kids speak Welsh." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Great Expectations", Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Spots", Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Tuppence. Spots. Other stuff." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ January 2020 Shadowhunter Army Newsletter
- ↑ "does Lucie have a power also?" "She does." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "— she doesn't know as the books open. It's something she wonders about." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 Lucie's power — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Yes. She doesn’t herself know them entirely at the beginning of the book," Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/173453529584/lucie
- ↑ "Lucie writes novels," Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ TLH characters, Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "She's much inclined to make things up." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/173542684474/lucie-and-alastair
- ↑ "She can see the dead." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Good catch", Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ June Chain of Gold short-Days Past: Lucie and Cordelia
- ↑ "Yes, indeed, we will read their first meeting." -Cassandra Clare on Tumblr