Livvy was born into the Blackthorn family to Andrew and Eleanor Blackthorn in 1997. She is the fourth of seven children, including her half-siblings Helen and Mark, and was born within minutes before her twin brother Ty. Livia remains among the few people by whom Ty doesn't mind being touched, as well as one of the few people who can effectively calm him down.
In December of 2007, the Los Angeles Institute was attacked by Sebastian Morgenstern and his Endarkened army. Along with her siblings (with the exception of Mark and Helen, the latter of whom was in Alicante at the time of the attack), Livia managed to escape through a Portal, which was opened by the Clave upon Jules' emergency request.
Once there, Livia was among the children who were interrogated with the Mortal Sword, after learning that their father was among the Clave members who were Turned into Dark Shadowhunters by the Infernal Cup. Eventually, they also learned that their brother Mark had been forced to join the Wild Hunt.
The next time they saw their father was during the battle in Alicante, during which the children were sent to hide in the Accords Hall. There, Andrew quickly found his children and immediately began to approach them menacingly. Jules saw that his father was truly gone after being Turned, and ultimately killed him before he could hurt Ty or his other siblings. When Ty threw a fit afterward, Livia tried to calm him down, knowing that Jules had no choice but to do what he did.
Eventually, the children returned to Los Angeles where their uncle, Arthur, joined them shortly after took over as head of the Los Angeles Institute. He remained a distant figure, however, while their new tutor, Diana Wrayburn, and Julian were more involved with their development.
In August 2012, her half-brother Mark was returned to the Blackthorn family from the Wild Hunt as a bargaining chip to make then investigate who was killing faeries. Livvy and Ty were often tasked with the research aspect of the investigation, and they later insisted on being part of Tavvy's rescue when Malcolm Fade, whom they learned was the Guardian, kidnapped him.
After Malcolm's death, Livvy grew closer to Kit Herondale, who began spending time with her and Ty. When Livvy got him alone once, she asked Kit to kiss her, having wanted to experience being kissed but had the opportunity to even meet anyone decent enough who was around her age until Kit arrived. The pair had no feelings for one another and Livvy later clarified that she did not want to be more than friends, and Kit did not object, only pleased to have friends in her and Ty.
Livvy joined Ty and Kit in investigating Annabel Blackthorn's history and was injured in a fight at the London Shadow Market, scaring Ty. Livvy and the boys later discovered Zara Dearborn's plans to take the Los Angeles Institute and told their tutor Diana Wrayburn about it.
After Annabel Blackthorn was risen from the dead by Malcolm, the Blackthorns brought her to Idris with the hope of proving that Zara Dearborn, the unofficial leader of the Centurions and The Cohort, was lying about killing Malcolm. While on the stand, Annabel's attitude changed; wielding the Mortal Sword, Annabel killed Robert Lightwood and Livia, stabbing her in the chest after she had rushed to hand Julian a sword to protect himself.
Personality and traits
Livia was fiercely protective of the people she cared about. When Tiberius and Kit started getting closer, Livia was worried that Kit might hurt Ty and even confronted him about how long he would stay with the Blackthorns. This was also seen during fights, where she would often move to protect Tiberius or Kit. She was strong and brave, and she was more than willing to put herself at risk if it meant her loved ones would be safe. She as well had to be held back when Octavian was visibly in trouble.
Livia admired her older brother Julian. She planned to run an Institute when she got older, wanting to be like him. When he was not around, she felt like she must be in charge and stepped up to that role.
Livia was very mischievous and often got up to high jinks with Tiberius. This included messing with their siblings, spying on people at the Institute, and going to places they knew they shouldn't go.
She was also imaginative, being able to come up with dramatic scenarios just by observing people, and a bit of a romantic, wanting Cristina and Julian to fall in love when she first met Cristina and wanting Alec and Magnus to get married.
Livia's favorite weapon was the saber. She chose it when she was twelve years old and worked hard to make sure she was good at fencing. She could talk eagerly about types of sabers and their grips, especially pistol grips.
Livia had the Blackthorn trademark curling brown hair and blue-green eyes.
Skills and abilities
- Nephilim physiology: Being Nephilim, Livia possessed a variety of enhanced physical and mental abilities granted to her by the angel blood of Raziel in her veins and also by the angelic Marks of the Gray Book. This includes enhanced strength, speed, agility, stamina, and coordination, which continue to improve over time and practice.
- The Sight: As a Shadowhunter, Livia was naturally and easily able to see through most magical illusions and layers of glamour over reality.
- Runic magic: Due to the angel blood in their veins, all Shadowhunters are able to apply runes on their skin without any real danger. These Marks, in turn, give varied effects that serve to benefit the wearer.
- Use of heavenly weapons: As a Shadowhunter, Livia was also able to perform tasks unique to their species, such as the ability to use and call on the power of angels for their seraph blades, as well as to handle any heavenly weapons or objects with effect, which would normally not work for other species. In particular, these are tools made of adamas and forged by Iron Sisters.
- Swordsmanship: Livia was a skilled fencer and sword fighter, especially with her saber equipped.
- Other basic Shadowhunter gear, including: a Sensor, steles, seraph blades, and witchlight.
- Saber: Livia's favorite weapon.
Livvy was very close to her twin brother Ty and was very protective of him—she was constantly trying to protect him from both physical and emotional pain. She knew him very well—knew his habits and tics—and knew just what to do to calm him and how to explain things he found confusing or didn't understand.
For a long time, she wanted to become parabatai with Ty, but he was not interested, mostly because of his desire to go to the Scholomance. After Livvy was injured at the London Shadow Market, Ty worried so much for her; when Magnus told them that Livvy having a parabatai would have helped her, Ty decided and later told her that they should become parabatai once things had settled down.
Livvy, along with Ty, stuck close to Kit when he first came to the Institute, quickly befriending him as soon as he allowed. The twins made him feel welcome, always making him tag along with them, and helped him adjust to his new life. The three became somewhat of a team, almost always together during their assignments and their free time. When Livvy had Kit alone, she confronted him about whether or not he intended to stay with them, because he was getting too close to Ty, whom he would hurt if he decided to leave. He asked Kit to not lie to Ty and to not get his hopes up.
Kit was also Livvy's first kiss—she had wanted to experience kissing for a while but never met anyone decent who was around her age until Kit arrived, so she asked him to kiss her, with no strings attached or romantic feelings from either of them. The pair later cleared up that they shouldn't do it again, with Livvy saying that she didn't think they were meant to be more than friends.
- City of Lost Souls (first mention)
- City of Heavenly Fire (first appearance)
- Bitter of Tongue
- The Fiery Trial
- Lady Midnight
- A Long Conversation (mentioned only)
- Lord of Shadows
- Queen of Air and Darkness (will be featured)
Following the family tradition of Greek and Latin names, Andrew named her Livia after a Roman empress who was married to Tiberius Claudius Nero, after whom Andrew named her twin brother, a deliberate instance that Andrew found funny.
- Livvy was mathematically-minded; she was fascinated by fractal patterns and often helped her siblings when they struggled with their math. She and Ty picked up the hobby of studying computers—whereas Ty liked analyzing and organizing the patterns, she was more involved with the mathematical aspect the programming and coding. Sometimes even her tutor Diana wished she could go to college and take a higher level math course.
- Livvy and Ty's rooms were across the hall from each other. Her room was clean and well-decorated. Her bed's headboard was covered with fabric decorated with a teacup pattern, bright costume jewelry hangs from screens nailed to the wall, and books about computers and programming languages were stacked in orderly rows by her bed.
- ↑ Twins tarot cards — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Livvy by like, a minute." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Livvy's like a minute older." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "Livvy by a few minutes!" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ City of Lost Souls
- ↑ City of Heavenly Fire
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8 7.9 Lady Midnight
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 Lord of Shadows
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Blackthorn names, Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Blackthorn and friends — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Blackthorns and co., Cassandra Clare on Tumblr