|Release Date||March 8, 2016|
Simon & Schuster
City of Heavenly Fire
Lord of Shadows
City of Heavenly Fire;
TSA: Angels Twice Descending
Lord of Shadows
Glitz, glamours, and Shadowhunters abound in this heartrending opening to Cassandra Clare's Dark Artifices series, a sequel to the internationally bestselling Mortal Instruments series.
It's been five years since the events of City of Heavenly Fire that brought the Shadowhunters to the brink of oblivion. Emma Carstairs is no longer a child in mourning, but a young woman bent on discovering what killed her parents and avenging her losses.
Together with her parabatai Julian Blackthorn, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as she investigates a demonic plot that stretches across LA, from the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica. If only her heart didn't lead her in treacherous directions...
Making things even more complicated, Julian's brother Mark—who was captured by the faeries five years ago—has been returned as a bargaining chip. The faeries are desperate to find out who is murdering their kind and they need the Shadowhunters' help to do it. But time works differently in faerie, so Mark has barely aged and doesn't recognize his family. Can he ever truly return to them? Will the faeries really allow it?
In a kingdom by the sea...
In a secret world where half-angel warriors are sworn to fight demons, parabatai is a sacred word.
A parabatai is your partner in battle. A parabatai is your best friend. Parabatai can be everything to each other—but they can never fall in love.
Emma Carstairs is a Shadowhunter, one in a long line of Shadowhunters tasked with protecting the world from demons. With her parabatai Julian Blackthorn, she patrols the streets of a secret Los Angeles where vampires party on the Sunset Strip, and faeries teeter on the edge of open war with Shadowhunters. When the bodies of humans and faeries start turning up murdered in the same way Emma's parents were murdered years ago, an uneasy alliance is formed. This is Emma's chance for revenge—and Julian's chance to get back his half-faerie brother, Mark, who was kidnapped five years ago. All Emma, Mark and Julian have to do is solve the murders within two weeks... before the murderer targets them.
Their search takes Emma from sea caves full of sorcery to a dark lottery where death is dispensed. As she uncovers the past, she begins to peel away the secrets of the present: What has Julian been hiding from her all these years? Why does Shadowhunter law forbid parabatai to fall in love? Who really killed her parents—and can she bear to know the truth?
The magic and adventure of the Shadowhunter Chronicles have captured the imaginations of millions of readers across the globe. Fall in love with Emma and her friends in this pulse-pounding, heart-rending new volume sure to delight new readers and longtime fans.
- Emma Carstairs — Seventeen-year-old Emma is a Shadowhunter who is bent on discovering what killed her parents and avenging her losses.
- Julian Blackthorn — Emma's parabatai, Jules has been responsible for his younger siblings, and indirectly the Los Angeles Institute, from a young age.
- Mark Blackthorn — Half-faerie, half-Shadowhunter, Mark is returned to his family in Los Angeles as a bargaining chip after years with the Wild Hunt.
- Cristina Rosales — Emma's eighteen-year-old best friend who currently resides at the Institute to learn about how their Shadowhunter culture differs from Mexico's.
- Diana Wrayburn — The tutor of the young Shadowhunters of the Institute.
- Arthur Blackthorn — The head of the Institute whose shock and trauma over the events of the Dark War, in addition to his past experience in Faerie, has driven his mind over the edge.
- Diego Rosales — A Shadowhunter from Cristina's past who is also a Centurion.
- Other Blackthorn children, namely Dru, Livvy, Tavvy, and Ty
- Kieran — Member of the Hunt and prince of the Unseelie Court
- Malcolm Fade — High Warlock of Los Angeles
- Gwyn ap Nudd — Leader of the Wild Hunt
- Iarlath — Member of the Unseelie Court
- Certain hardback first editions in English include some of the following:
- a hand-stamped rune (Cassandra Clare's stamp signature with a symbol) on the first page
- the short story A Long Conversation
- art illustrated by Cassandra Jean on the inside of the dust jacket
- the Shadowhunter's guide to Los Angeles, a map of supernatural locations in the books
- Cassandra Clare's guide to Emma's Los Angeles, a written piece (exclusive to Waterstones)
- a limited "deluxe" edition hardback released by Waterstones with the Angelic rune on the cover
- The title refers to Annabel Blackthorn, who is famously known in Shadowhunter folklore as Lady Midnight.
- Aside from beginning the pattern of nobility titles for The Dark Artifices book titles, Lady Midnight is also named after the Leonard Cohen song of the same name.
- The cover features Emma Carstairs drowning in the ocean; specifically, it depicts a scene in the book.
- The book is set in August 2012. While the original plan was always to have it set in 2012, it was changed to 2013 for some time before being moved back to 2012.
- The book is told from different points of view, namely: Emma, Julian, Cristina, Kit, Mark, and, briefly, Annabel.
- The book was originally going to be divided into parts like The Mortal Instruments. The first was supposed to be called "Steel and Temper", after Cortana's inscription.
- The cover model for Emma Carstairs is Brookelynn Elizabeth.
- "In Lady Midnight, Annabel Lee, and in Lord of Shadows, Dream-Land, both by Poe." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- "Nobility titles. But Lady Midnight is named after a favorite Leonard Cohen song." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- "It takes place five years after the end of TMI (ie in 2012)" Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- "Lady Midnight begins in August, 2013." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- "The first section of Lady Midnight is called Part One: Steel and Temper." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- Justine Magazine: "Lady Midnight" Cover Model on The Shooting Experience! on Justine Magazine's Youtube channel