|“||But I am so much more selfish than that. I am doing it because it will free me from Mama.||”|
–Grace, Chain of Gold
Grace Blackthorn, born Grace Cartwright, is the ward and adoptive daughter of Tatiana Blackthorn.
Grace's parents died when she was young. She was then adopted by Tatiana, to whom she became very loyal and devoted. Grace also grew to have unearthly beauty and was implied to have possessed siren-like abilities, both of which were exploited by her adoptive mother. Despite the seemingly cold persona Grace eventually developed, she loved her adoptive brother, Jesse, who was a sickly child that eventually died.
In 1903, Magnus Bane was called to the Blackthorn Hall to perform a task for Tatiana. Grace came down to the foyer and met Magnus Bane, who was astounded by her beauty. She introduced herself to him and was mildly confused when Magnus, overwhelmed by her allure, recoiled from her.
After Magnus refused to kill Shadowhunters for the ritual Tatiana needed to bring Jesse back, Tatiana had Grace follow him. She caught up to him but made no move to stop him, realizing that he wanted no part in Tatiana's plans. Magnus asked her if she needed help if Tatiana was holding her against her will; Grace responded by holding a blade to his chest and coldly refusing him. She told him to leave and threatened to kill him if he didn't leave or if he revealed Tatiana's plans.
Grace is seemingly a cold and unfeeling person. She is able to appear charming and seductive when she has to and can display an air of innocence, but she betrays no true emotions. Because of her upbringing and the outlook of the woman who raised her, any conscience Grace may hold seems restrained. Nonetheless, she is extremely loyal to her adoptive family.
Grace is said to possess extraordinary beauty. She has pale, blond hair, rosy white skin, thick and dark eyelashes, and gray eyes.
- See more here
- Grace likes making crowns from flowers, leaves, and vines—a hobby she retained from before she was adopted by Tatiana.
- Grace favors hairpins as her weapon.
- Her favorite animals are moths and spiders.
- Her favorite book is The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.
- The general belief was that Grace was never given any Shadowhunter training by Tatiana and only bears a few runes. Whether it is true has been put into question by Cassandra Clare herself.
- According to a "found" family tree, Grace was born in 1886, went on to marry Christopher Lightwood and had a son named Isidore with him, and died in 1940.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Found family tree, a Clockwork Princess extra
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Grace's promotional character card for Chain of Gold — Cassandra Clare on Instagram
- ↑ "Jesse might be the only person she loves." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 The Midnight Heir
- ↑ TLH character portraits and details — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ Chain of Gold
- ↑ "Whether that's entirely true…" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr