|Ghosts of the Shadow Market: An Anthology of Tales|
|Release Date|| April 2018 (first story)|
June 4, 2019 (print edition)
Jem Carstairs (teaser)
| Released after|
Lord of Shadows
| Released before|
Queen of Air and Darkness
Ghosts of the Shadow Market: An Anthology of Tales is a compilation of novellas by Cassandra Clare, Maureen Johnson, Robin Wasserman, Sarah Rees Brennan, and Kelly Link. It is comprised of 10 short stories: the first eight were published in e-book format from April 2018 monthly, and the last two stories were published exclusively in the print edition that was released on June 4, 2019.
The Shadow Market is a meeting point for faeries, werewolves, warlocks and vampires. There the Downworlders buy and sell magical objects, make dark bargains, and whisper secrets they do not want the Nephilim to know. Through two centuries, however, there has been a frequent visitor to the Shadow Market from the City of Bones, the very heart of the Shadowhunters. As a Silent Brother, Brother Zachariah is sworn keeper of the laws and lore of the Nephilim. But once he was a Shadowhunter called Jem Carstairs, and his love, then and always, is the warlock Tessa Gray.
Follow Brother Zachariah and see, against the backdrop of the Shadow Market’s dark dealings and festive celebrations, Anna Lightwood's first romance, Matthew Fairchild's great sin and Tessa Gray plunged into a world war. Valentine Morgenstern buys a soul at the Market and a young Jace Wayland's soul finds safe harbor. In the Market is hidden a lost heir and a beloved ghost, and no one can save you once you have traded away your heart. Not even Brother Zachariah...
- The final cover for the compilation features Jem Carstairs, portrayed by the same model, named Aaron, who posed as him for the Clockwork Prince cover of the repackaged edition.
- This anthology is similar to Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, where it follows one particular character but features different characters in each installment whose stories are connected by one common place. In this case, the collection follows Jem Carstairs (Brother Zachariah) through his life from The Infernal Devices to the time of The Dark Artifices, and the stories are connected by the different times he visited the Shadow Market and his paths crossed with other characters, from The Infernal Devices. The Last Hours, The Mortal Instruments, and The Dark Artifices.
- Cassandra Clare founded the publishing company Shadow Market Enterprises, Inc. to self-publish the anthology's e-books, meant to only be a "one-shot publishing house" for the project, with Gavin Grant, Kelly Link's husband, as project manager. Simon & Schuster will still be publishing the print edition and the final two installments.
- The authors intentionally wanted to publish the collection's first eight installments before Queen of Air and Darkness and the last two installments, which lead into The Wicked Powers, after the book's release to avoid spoiling the book for readers.
- During the writing process of the stories, Sarah Rees Brennan sent in a draft that contained a plot point that clashed with one Clare had recently changed in Queen of Air and Darkness. Instead of changing Brennan's version, Clare incorporated the changes and made it work.
- The titles of all the stories are quotes, some of which have been modified, which reflect the tone of each story. The authors of the collection all decided the titles on the same day that they came up with the plot lines.
- Son of the Dawn was the first story to be released online during its initial e-book run. The compiled, printed edition, however, had the stories listed in chronological order; because Son of the Dawn was moved to the middle, the order of the first six stories was adjusted.
- ↑ Synopsis reveal by Cassandra Clare on Instagram
- ↑ Ghosts of the Shadow Market — Shadowhunters.com
- ↑ "He is, yes, the same guy, Aaron, who portrayed Jem on the cover of Clockwork Prince!" Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ "The new one," Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ Cassandra Clare Q&A at the 2017 Frankfurt Book Fair — TMI Source
- ↑ "More like Tales." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Cassandra Clare Launches 'One-Shot' Publishing Collaborative — Publishers Weekly
- ↑ ".... I can't tell you guys much about the stories I'm writing with Kelly and Sarah for the print edition of Ghosts of the Shadow Market, since they will contain spoilers for Queen of Air and Darkness," Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "… the story is set after [QoAaD], anything else I have to say would be a giant spoiler!" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ Q&a: ghosts of the shadow market — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr