Teaser art by Davood Diba
|Release Date||June 4, 2019|
Unlike the first eight stories, this and The Lost World will not be released as e-books and will only be available in the print edition of Ghosts of the Shadow Market, set for release on June 4, 2019.
The Jace Herondale who crossed into our world from Thule is torn between his feeling of responsibility to Ash, who is ever-increasing in power, and his desire to take back the life he lost from the Jace of our world, by force if necessary. Meanwhile, in the peaceful countryside of England, Kit Herondale struggles to adjust to a new life and a new family, and to forget Ty.
- This will be set after Queen of Air and Darkness.
- The story will be told from Jem and Thule Jace's POVs, and we'll see what has been "troubling" this Jace.
- A new place, set to be featured again in The Last Hours, will be visited.
- Kit Herondale will appear in the story.
- Jem and Tessa's child will be featured in this installment. The meaning of her English and Chinese names will be explained.
- The family dynamics of Jem, Tessa, their child, and Kit will be shown.
- Thule Jace and Ash's position in the faerie court will be seen in this installment. The Queen's obsession with keeping Ash safe, specifically through a particular bodyguard, will be shown.
- The story will feature murder.
- The New York Shadow Market will be visited.
- The story is set to discuss Ash's wings.
There were bluebells in the wood beyond the stone walls, and oak trees were dropping green stars in the grass. This garden made Jem think of long-ago children he would have saved if he could: his Cordelia, her sword at her back and her arms full of bright flowers, none so bright as her smile when she saw him, and Cordelia's brother Alastair with his long fingers over his bitter eyes. Jem had only ever known their faces through magic in the dark. He had never seen either of them with his eyes open, and he never would.
“When I learned to fight, I was dying from slow poison,” said Jem. “… And I was, yes, still faster than you.”
Kit laughed. His eyes were Herondale eyes, but his laugh was all his own, mischievous and cynical and a little innocent, despite that.
“Train with me,” said Kit.
“What?” Kit asked anxiously. “Do you … not want to?”
“I said that to somebody once,” said Jem. “A long time ago. He did train with me. And now I’ll train you.”
“Actually,” said Jace, “I’d appreciate it if you didn’t tell anybody. You two are about the same age my friends and I were when we saved the world. I think I can trust you two. I think you could do great things. I’d love your help.”
They looked at each other with awkward, surprised enthusiasm. “Help with what?” said the werewolf.
Jace told them. It seemed to go well at first. Their eyes were shining. They wanted so badly to be heroes. He’d wanted to be one himself, once.
The werewolf girl, who seemed to know about Alec and the Jace in this world, was nodding eagerly. The faerie boy nodded less and said very little. Jace wasn’t certain of him. After he was done talking and pretended to leave, Jace swung around and quietly followed them. He could feel his Soundless rune sparking against his skin: a novel sensation after so long.
“I don’t care who he is,” said the faerie boy. “I don’t trust him. I’m going to tell the King.”
Well, win some, lose some. The important thing was knowing when to cut your losses.
Jace cut their throats and buried the two young lovers side by side under the green leaves of the springtime trees. He made sure to close their eyes and clasp the girl’s hand safe in the boy’s before he smoothed the soil over them, so they were sleeping peacefully together. He gave them the death he would have wanted for himself.
- The title of the story is taken from the line "Awake, arise, or be forever fallen!" in John Milton's poem Paradise Lost, with the specific line referring to "Lucifer and his angels having just fallen from heaven."
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 q&a: ghosts of the shadow market — Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "I cry whenever we work on the last one. Oh Jace." Sarah Rees Brennan on Twitter
- ↑ "“Forever Fallen,” the last Ghosts of the Shadow Market story"... Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 "Can you tell us anything about Forever Fallen?" Cassandra Clare Q&A on Tumblr
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?u=4d3d48f0c0279df4622b2cfd7&id=0c72c0287a
- ↑ Shadowhunters Army November 2018 newsletter
- ↑ "... GHOSTS OF THE SHADOW MARKET, coming JUNE FOURTH, 2019." Cassandra Clare on Instagram
- ↑ Ghosts of the Shadow Market — Shadowhunters.com
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/172798265969/sotd-gotsm
- ↑ "... Forever Fallen, is partly from Jace's PoV." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/180732696789/hey-cassie-two-days-until-qoaad-im-so-excited
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/181206011759/jaces
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/182787797439/hey-cassie-will-we-read-more-about-thules-jace
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/180866089999/will-qoaad-be-the-last-we-see-of-kit-and-ty-before
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/180863781349/will-we-meet-jem-and-tessas-baby-or-at-least
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/181872644814/whats-baby-carstairs-called
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/182071410219/hi-cassie-can-you-tell-us-anything-about-the
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 https://twitter.com/TMI_Source/status/1098315039256264706
- ↑ "You will see what Jace and Ash’s position is in the faerie court in Forever Fallen, yes!" Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/post/182071432274/hey-cassie-i-was-wondering-if-there-is-a-shadow
- ↑ "...We actually hear more about them and why they appeared in Forever Fallen." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr