|“||Did Zachariah just pick up Church? That cat hates everybody!||”|
Church is an intelligent, immortal cat who was rescued by a Shadowhunter in 1878. He is usually a grouch, unless being petted, and usually does not let anyone carry him without some struggle. Jem is the only human Church has shown affection for and taken a true liking to.
At some point, the Eidolon demon Mrs. Dark got hold of the cat and performed a necromantic ritual on him that made him immortal. In 1878, the cat was meant to be used as a sacrifice in order for Mrs. Dark to resurrect her sister, Mrs. Black, but before she had the chance to complete the sacrifice and kill him, he was rescued by Jem Carstairs. After being rescued, Jem brought him back to the London Institute, and Charlotte Branwell agreed to keep him, saying it was good luck to have a cat in the church. The cat has since been called "Church".
After Jem became a Silent Brother, Church missed him and mourned for him. Upon hearing about this from Charlotte, the warlock Magnus Bane took the cat with him to New York. Magnus had traveled on a ship then, and Church suffered from seasickness on the voyage.
Church returned, however, and went back to living in the London Institute.
Move to New York
In May 2008, Church reunited with Jem, who had recently become human again, at the wedding of Luke Garroway and Jocelyn Fray at a farmhouse in New York. To the surprise of everyone who knew Church, Jem was able to pick him up with no struggle whatsoever. Jem then took Church with him to Los Angeles, without official permission from Church's previous owners, the Lightwoods.
Move to Los Angeles
Soon after the wedding, Jem left Church in a box on the doorstep of the Los Angeles Institute, intended for Emma Carstairs to find. Church came with a note from Jem, signed with his Silent Brother name Zachariah, asking Emma to take care of his cat. Not knowing what to make of this, Emma called Clary Fairchild who confirmed that the cat once lived at the New York Institute but was originally Brother Zachariah's cat. Clary told her that if she and Julian wanted to keep him, they should.
Emma agreed to care for the cat and, though she was initially worried, they soon learned that Church was not going to be a permanent resident at the Institute, because even though Church sometimes stayed at the Institute, he often left for days or weeks but always came back, so they always left dry food and fresh water for him at the Institute entryway. Church was technically considered "retired" and mostly lived on the beach. When Emma was fourteen, Church began coming back with little presents tied around his collar, mostly shells and sea glass, from Jem, whom Emma now knew to be a distant relative. The sea glass became a part of Julian's lucky bracelet, and Emma kept the shells on her windowsill.
When Church first came to the Institute, he was simply referred to as "the church cat." Eventually, he was just given the name "Church."
- When dropped, Church often lays on his back with all four legs in the air, pretending to be dead in order to induce guilt in his owners.
- Church is set to be back at the London Institute in The Last Hours. He will continue to terrorize the inhabitants, will invade James's room (Jem's old room), and will feel great when he occasionally sees Brother Zachariah, before breaking ornaments when he leaves.
- We are set to find out how Church wound up at the New York Institute.
- ↑ Cassandra Clare's FAQ
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Clockwork Angel
- ↑ Clockwork Princess
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 A History of Notable Shadowhunters & Denizens of the Downworld
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "During TLH, he lives in the London Institute," Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ The Mortal Instruments
- ↑ City of Heavenly Fire
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Lady Midnight
- ↑ City of Bones
- ↑ "Church is a blue Persian longhair." Cassandra Clare on Twitter
- ↑ City of Lost Souls
- ↑ "We will eventually find out how Church wound up at the NY Institute." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr