|Chain of Iron|
|Release Date||March 2, 2021|
| Preceded by|
Chain of Gold
| Followed by|
Chain of Thorns
| Released after|
The Lost Book of the White
| Released before|
Cordelia Carstairs seems to have everything she ever wanted. She’s engaged to marry James Herondale, the boy she has loved since childhood. She has a new life in London with her best friend Lucie Herondale and James’s charming companions, the Merry Thieves. She is about to be reunited with her beloved father. And she bears the sword Cortana, a legendary hero’s blade.
But the truth is far grimmer. James and Cordelia’s marriage is a lie, arranged to save Cordelia’s reputation. James is in love with the mysterious Grace Blackthorn whose brother, Jesse, died years ago in a terrible accident. Cortana burns Cordelia’s hand when she touches it, while her father has grown bitter and angry. And a serial murderer is targeting the Shadowhunters of London, killing under cover of darkness, then vanishing without a trace.
Together with the Merry Thieves, Cordelia, James, and Lucie must follow the trail of the knife-wielding killer through the city’s most dangerous streets. All the while, each is keeping a shocking secret: Lucie, that she plans to raise Jesse from the dead; Cordelia, that she has sworn a dangerous oath of loyalty to a mysterious power; and James, that he is being drawn further each night into the dark web of his grandfather, the arch-demon Belial. And that he himself may be the killer they seek.
- The book will take place over the course of a month in December 1903.
- While the book will primarily still be from James, Cordelia, and Lucie's point of view, we can expect a few scenes from Grace, Anna, and Thomas's POVs.
- Like in the first book, there will be "Days Past" chapters; though these are set to follow one plot-line rather than bounce between characters.
- Magnus will have a love interest; they will be a warlock we met in Chain of Gold.
- A significant thing about Rupert appears in this book.
- A new female character will be staying at the London Institute for her training year. She will be Italian.
- There will be a new engagement and at least one wedding within this installment.
- Characters mentioned in passing, including Kellington, will be revisited.
- Elias will not have returned before the beginning of the book.
- Matthew will be buying a car and will have his own place.
- In an early chapter, Lucie, Cordelia, and Anna meet up for a party at the Hell Ruelle.
- There will be a big twist in the love triangle between James, Cordelia, and Matthew.
- Cordelia and Matthew will have grown much closer over the four month gap and are set to take a road trip together. Matthew will also reveal to her his secret.
- The truth about what happened to Eugenia Lightwood will be revealed.
- Ariadne's heritage will be explored and her birth name may be revealed.
- More about Jesse and Grace's childhoods, especially about their relationship with Tatiana, will be revealed. As well as more information into Grace's powers and the bracelet.
- The Shadow Market will be visited.
- Sallows's shop will be reopened by Hypatia Vex in this installment.
“Math, I didn’t know you’d gotten a flat. You didn’t tell me.”
Matthew, having finished buttoning James’ coat, looked slightly abashed. He ran a hand through his hair, which was already tumbling about his head like unkempt sunshine. “It was an impulse decision —“
“Nothing to do with that argument you were having with Charlotte the other day?”
As she turned away, the faerie woman said, in a low voice, “You need not marry a man who does not love you, you know.”
Cordelia froze. She glanced back over her shoulder.
Alastair looked amused. “Never before have I heard such a concise statement of the ludicrous philosophy with which you and your school friends go through the world.”
Anna was fortress-surrounded by her friends: tall, handsome Thomas; Christopher, who shared his sister’s stern delicacy of feature, peacock Matthew, who always looked as if he’d just rolled out of an unmade bed piled with silks and velvet. And Eugenia Lightwood, who hadn’t bothered to take off her canary-yellow gloves or hat, as if she were ready to run out the door any moment.
They all eyed Ariadne suspiciously as she approached Anna. Anna didn’t seem to see her at all; she was leaning back with one booted foot braced on the wall behind her. She was all lean black and white lines, her close-fitting jacket following the outline of her slim curves, her head thrown back as she laughed. Her ruby pendant glimmered in the hollow of her throat.
Keep your head up, Ariadne, she told herself. You can do this.
“Hello, Anna,” Ariadne said.
Alastair’s gaze flicked to Matthew. “Why,” he said, “are you not even wearing a hat?”
“And cover up this hair?” Matthew indicated his golden locks with a flourish. “Would you blot out the sun?”
Over the past months, she had become closer with all James’ friends, but she had become closest to Matthew. He was always willing to stand her a dance at a party, or to sit on a bench and chatter and gossip. It made her laugh now to think she had once been almost afraid of him, thinking him James’ disapproving guardian.
From The Beautiful Cordelia:
The brave princess Lucretia raced through the marble halls of the palace. "I must find Cordelia," she gasped. "I must save her."
"I believe the Prince holds her even now, captive in his throne room!" Sir Jerrod exclaimed. "But Princess Lucretia, even though you are the most beautiful and wise lady that I have ever met, surely you cannot fight your way through a hundred of his stoutest palace guard!" The knight’s green eyes flashed. His straight black hair was disarranged, and his white shirt was entirely undone.
"But I must!" Lucretia cried.
James spoke at last, and there was real kindness in his voice. “You must give people time, Alastair,” he said. “We are none of us perfect, and no one expects perfection. But when you have hurt people you must allow them their anger. Otherwise it will only become another thing you have tried to take away.”
Alastair seemed to hesitate. “James,” he said. “Does he think —“
“I know that you’ve been doing something — something you’re keeping secret. I’m not angry,” Cordelia hastened to add. “I just wish you’d tell me what it is.”
Lucie tried to cover her surprise.
“Alastair! Cordelia!” A familiar voice bellowed up from downstairs.
Sona went white and laid a hand against the wall to steady herself. “Elias?”
- Collector's first editions: will feature 10 illustrations throughout the book and a short story of Brother Zachariah and Magnus Bane on a mission.
- ↑ Cassandra Clare on Instagram
- ↑ Chain of Iron synopsis — Simon & Schuster
- ↑ "About four/five weeks" — CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "the dead of winter." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "Four months [after Chain of Gold.] CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "She does have some POV in book 2," Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "I’ll give two examples: Anna and Thomas." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "The Days Past in Chain of Iron follows one plotline, one particular character/set of characters, rather than jumping between characters." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "... does Magnus have a love interest in TLH?" "... in book two, yes." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ " Magnus’ love interest is another warlock." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "Are they someone we already know from ChoG?" "Yep!" CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "I will say a significant thing about Rupert appears in book 2." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 "We get to know more about some characters..." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ "She's Italian." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "There is both a new engagement and at least one wedding." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "We do see Elias return and how people feel about it. He is not already back at the beginning of the book." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "Matthew buys a car." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr
- ↑ CoI Snippet — CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "In an early chapter Cordelia meets up with Anna and Lucie for a party at the Hell Ruelle." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "A big twist in the love triangle in COI." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "Cordelia’s relationships with everyone have progressed, but with Matthew the most" CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "Matthew and Cordelia are definitely closer and spend time together in COI; they even take a road trip." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "He tells Cordelia." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "We will learn what happened to Eugenia." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "Her heritage is discussed" — CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "The Bridgestocks changed her name" — CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "We don’t know a lot of the details of Jesse and Grace’s childhood in Chain of Gold, but in Chain of Iron, we will learn them." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "More information about Grace, the Blackthorns, her powers, her history, ...we will get in Chain of Iron." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "We do find out a lot more about the whole bracelet/ Tatiana/James/Jesse saga in COI!" CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "Learn more about what the bracelet does in book two" — CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "There are Cartwrights around, and the reason none of them adopted Grace, and Tatiana did instead, does come up in Chain of Iron." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ "We also visit the Shadow Market." CC on Tumblr
- ↑ Shadowhunter Army July 2020 newsletter
- ↑ Cassandra Clare on Instagram live
- ↑ "the death’s-head moths connected to Lucie’s power." Cassandra Clare on Tumblr